Pages

Translate

Monday, December 31, 2012

Storm Front, The Dresden Files pt.1

A good friend of mine and I were chilling one evening when she and I start talking about our favorite authors.  I talk about how I like mystery fantasy novels making note of the City Watch novels written by Terry Pratchett. She mentions Jim Butcher and his Dresden Files book series. Having frequented the local book store (in my case Barnes & Noble) I was familiar with what the book looked like (since it also happens to be the fantasy/sci-fi section of the store). A private eye that also happens to be a wizard? I say yes ma'am and can I have some of you on the side?

I like to keep my expectations low on most things, this way I am surprised and happy more often. Although, since I do read mystery novels, albeit goofy ones, I do have some sort of bar that needs to be met. I can safely say that the book took me...by Storm (YYYYEEEEAAAAHHHH).

I liked the style that it was written in. I haven't read any first-person novels and when I pretend to write novels I write in third person, so this was a good break. The characters are cool. Not really relate-able (unless you're a wizard(whichiam)) but they're cool. The plot is pretty simple, it reminded me a little of this movie, but with magic. The humor is well done and there were a few parts I giggled out loud . Magic is really balanced, so you're not wondering "How come he didn't solve the case by doing [insert magic here]?" That was something I really appreciated.  I'll admit though, I knew who the bad guy was after reading the first chapter. But getting to how Dresden figured it out was really cool.

The dice roll an 8/10. Predictable, but no the less fun to read. Get it if you like urban fantasy or moderately adult humor

No comments:

Post a Comment