Pages

Translate

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Iron Fist, the casting enigma of the Marvel Universe.

Marvel has an issue in the very near future that needs to be addressed, what to do about Daniel Rand A.K.A. Iron Fist.

Full disclosure, I really like this character. I've liked him since I first figured out who this guy was and I've loved his character design and most of his solo comic books runs as well as his team-up runs. However, there is a glaring problem with the character, at least, the not 40 year old comic book character with plenty of back story, plot, nuance, and several other things to explain cultural appropriation, asian martial arts tropes, etc. Daniel Rand is white, or at least in the comic books. Does that mean that his cinematic version need to be as well?

There was already a fantastic article written about the issues of Daniel being played by a white guy (written here) and I highly suggest that you give it a good read. There is of course, issue with casting him as Asian, just due to stereotypes being a great risk as well as the differences between nationalities being a very big deal if you've ever been to East Asian countries (a good article that mentions it is here). Here is another article that is a wonderful read as well, since it portrays both sides of the argument.  I think there are opportunities for Marvel to do some wonderful things if they decide to go with either a White actor or an Asian American actor. I will say this though, while his race does not have to be a key component to his character in the cinematic universe, his American-ness is very key to his character.

If they go with a white actor (which, looking online, seems to be most likely) here are a few scenarios I'd like to see happen and a few actors that I think would be good for the part.
I'd like to see him address his whiteness and maybe even face the scorn of Asian-American's upon his return to New York. A Chinese American mocking his clothes or his attitude. Or that by using his whiteness he gets to slam down top white corporate villains. "You wouldn't say that if weren't white, that's your last warning" that kind of deal. Admitting white privilege would a cool thing to see in a show that has to balance culture and being in a liminal state. I believe that most people who live in a foreign country (vacations don't count) always take back something from their time there. I myself lived in El Salvador for 2 very formative years of my life. There were things that I came to identify myself with that culturally belong to Salvadorans. So, it's safe to say that Danny Rand wouldn't come back that same rich White man that he left as. It could be a great opportunity to show the White community what it could do with its privilege and grow empathy with cultural differences.
White actors I'd like to see play the Role:
Jeffery Donovan
Charlie Hunnam

If they go with an American-Asian character:
The showing of coming to terms that he his both Asian and American, that his heritage is an integral part of him but not the only thing that defines him. In my studies of Hispanic culture in the U.S. I've found that many Hispanics born in the U.S. still find themselves to be the outsider, the other, something that is a transplant in their own home. I think this could be an opportunity to address the issues of 2nd generation immigrants in the U.S. (this is also why I said earlier that his American-ness is a defining factor of this character). A scene I could see happening is a flashback to his training with The Thunderer  where Thunderer mentions something about him being weak for being mixed race and then Danny could do something awesome and respond in the present with, "It is because I am both that I am strong". Mixed racial heritage has always been an issue for those are of mixed race. Even interracial couples are still viewed as somewhat taboo, or God-forbid, mixed racial families (Looking at you Micheal B. Jordan Fantastic 4 critics). This brings us back to the liminal state I mentioned earlier. This fluid identity. I think it's something that could be shown more clearly with an Asian-American actor
Asian-American actors I'd pick
Steven Yuen (I know he's Korean-American, but Korea and China get along better than Japan and literally every other East Asia country)
Harry Shum Jr. 

What do you think? Write a comment about what you'd like to see happen in the Marvel cinematic universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment