Pages

Translate

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Rashomon has nothing to do with Digimon.

Okay, so it's been awhile since I wrote in this thing, you know, with school kicking my arse three-ways to Tuesday. But, even with school and work and trying to have some semblance of a social life, I still find myself watching about a movie a week. So I'll start writing again. These upcoming weeks will mostly be just playing catch-up. So let's start with something only film buffs would get: Rashomon.

Rashomon is an older samurai movie about the inaccuracy of memory and half a social critique on selfish motives. It's all in Japanese so you have to watch it with subtitles (get over yourselves) and in black and white. It tells the events of a crime from four different points of view: the bandit, the woman, the samurai, and the woodchopper. There is no visible violence (which is strange for a japanese movie, but it works since violence isn't the point) and the language is clean, so bring the fam! No, don't, kids are going to get lost. High schoolers might get it, college kids should.

Okay, I really like this movie, even though I kept falling asleep. I might like this movie so much since it deals with a subject that put many innocent people away for years and it's something I'm studying. Probably more of the latter. The writing is excellent and the acting, although a little over the top at times, is superb.

The roll of the dice give it 9/10. The writing and acting are great, but it lags in parts. Watch it with Mt. Dew.

P.S. I'll start putting in the links later. I don't quite have enough time for it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment