Pages

Translate

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Evil Dead...more than a little uncomfortable. Watch Cabin the Woods instead.

So this weekend I had planned to go see G.I.Joe with my brother and friend. Unfortunately it was sold out when we got to the theater, Evil Dead was next on the list, since I'm a fan of Army of Darkness. I had heard that it was the "scariest movie ever". I've heard that before. But I knew of the cult following (see what I did there) of Evil Dead so I had some pretty decent expectations of the film.

Right off the bat the movie had me feeling a little uncomfortable. An exorcism gets performed at the beginning of the movie and it's pretty intense. It doesn't exactly end very well either. The movie is pretty much down hill from there. It got uncomfortable enough for me to look for reasons to leave. Luckily for me, the dude in front of us kept checking his cell phone. And we know why we shouldn't do that! Either way I sat through most of it, but I really kind of looked like this (what it says is true!)

I must say though, the writing is superb. They set up one of the characters to be unbelievable enough to suspect that everything she says is just a lie (even though we know differently). The gore, of which there was plenty, was too realistic it seemed. I mean, I've seen some gory films, but this gore just...looked too real to be comfortable.

The Dice give it an 8/10. As much I didn't actually like sitting through the movie, it's good by movie standards. If your used to supernatural horror flicks, go ahead, but I don't think I will watch this movie again.

So before any of us could go to bed that night, we had to calm down. So we were talking about other horror movies and Cabin in the Woods came up, I hadn't seen it yet. This movie was great. It might be classified as a horror movie, but I think it really goes under Mystery/Comedy/Horror. I wasn't ever really afraid the whole time. Part of it was because Kristen Connolly was in it, and she is fetching cute. Joss Whedon directed it, so it's great.

The thing that got me though, was that the Cabin in Cabin the Woods, is in fact the Same Damned Cabin from Evil Dead!! I think it might be the same Cabin in Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil, which is pretty good too.

Cabin in the Woods gets a 9/10. The writing, acting, and directing are fantastic. Buy it if you want, I would.

1 comment:

  1. Great review Brian. I’m glad it wasn’t just a lame cash-grab, but I would have liked more.

    ReplyDelete