Pages

Translate

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Gary Clark Jr. is awesome...maybe a little crazy, but awesome

Okay, so I got up one morning super early and I had the opportunity to watch some VH1 jumpstart (if you have the chance, it's a pretty neat place to find new music). I turn it on and I see that they have a new "You Oughta Know" artist up. I trust these guys when they say I Ought to Know these guys, it was through them that I first found Jamie Cullum (sexy sexy man). So I sees this guy named Gary Clark Jr. I sort of hear him talk about Blues and Rock & Roll and I'm intrigued. I can't hear the TV all that well, since i have it turned down so as to not awake my other roommates. I watch the video to his single Ain't Messin' Around and again, I think to myself, "Brian, this is good...really good". So then I get to my room and watch the video with my headphones on...and I was quite impressed.

The Album "Blak and Blu" has heavy blues influences and sounds wonderful in your ears. Gary Clark Jr's vocals have the bluesy soul necessary to compliment the chords being played alongside it. There are a few tracks that get...well, a little off track. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge guitar solo fan (I have an entire playlist on iTunes dedicated to it). But there is a right way and a...overly creative way to do solos and Gary tends to get a little too creative.

A roll of the opaque blue dice gives the album an 8/10. It's wonderful to listen to in any mood and nearly any weather. It's a wonderful throw back to the greats that have lead music to what it is today. It just also happens to repeat some the not-so-gelling-psychedelics. Buy, buy, buy.

2 comments:

  1. I love him, I first heard him on jimmy fallon or somewhere, he was playing ain't messin around, I really like things are changing, acoustic. So your guitar list, do you have "flying in a blue dream" Joe Satriani or Jimmy Thackery's "solid ice" if not I highly recommend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of Joe Satriani, but I hadn't heard of Jimmy Thackery. Thanks for the new artist!

      Delete